Thursday 31 May 2018

That Frightening Night

Hem Raj Neupane
Poet Hem Raj Neupane

Over my head was looming
Dark canopy of cloud
With hooked nose
And twisted lips
With one eye ajar
Staring at me.

Beside me stood a corpse
Dressed in black
It inclined to me to whisper:
'Shove the cloud away
Or I shall turn yourself 
Into a corpse!'

Half paralysed I was 
And turned pale
Began to sweat
Shaking all over
Completely senseless.

Fate was observing 
Far from the corner
To what extend 
I could undergo the pain
(Perhaps to intervene 
If need be).

In the yard outside
Was burning aggressively 
The fire of disbelief 
Spirits beating the drums
And the witches dancing.

Far from the horizon 
Could be seen a pilgrim 
All dressed in copper
Holding a conch 
Approaching towards the shrine.

He stopped by the ridge 
Looked around
Chanted few words
And blew the conch 
With all his might.

The earth trembled
The barn collapsed
The fire died down
The spirits disappeared 
And the witches fled.

A loud bang caused 
My bedroom door open
I woke up startled
All soaked in sweat
Absolute helpless.

That early morning
Out of the blue
She h'd made her way to stab me
Taking her new lover
Both with unmasked faces.


No comments:

Post a Comment