Friday 19 January 2018

Mathematics

Mukul Dahal
Poet Mukul Dahal

When you clasped my hands, then spread a linen
on the bed of my room, you hardly knew
that you had to face mathematics.

You say: the bills this month have drowned
us, and what shall we do to your university fee?
I say ‘look at the roses in the yard,

ah ! their pretty faces.’ you lose your temper at me,
‘stop kidding, all these years
have been a joke,

’10 hours a day, 6 days, even seven,
over 60 hours a week,’ a grin
on my face cannot pull you out of these sums.

I slip into the memory, the day I said I would fly
with those wings stuck to my shoulders,
you believed I would land you in the world of miracles.

But through these tired hours,
you chew numbers, your fingers
move as you sink your days in sums.

‘The amounts of debt have worn wings,’
you mumble in sleep, as you travel
in dream across oceans to cuddle our young one,

who is tossing numbers in kindergarten.


No comments:

Post a Comment