Sunday 26 February 2023

Gossiping with Thamel

Ishwor Kadel

Poet Ishwor Kadel
























Last evening
Andrey- a Russian I knew a decade ago
took me to a restaurant in Chhetrapaati
where all the tables were occupied
drinking Tongba in silver pots
with varieties of buff meat
smoking cigarettes
and listening to the Bolleywood or Kolleywood songs of 90s.

An old man of 70
with a pretty long beard and mustache
from one of the busy tables
offered us seats calling me Hemingway.

To my surprise,
I looked at him...taller than I am
in a hat, a T-shirt and a trousers
been abstaining soap and water for so long
drinking waasa in a small glass
he smiled an artificial smile
offered his plate of buff chilly to taste
and said again that I looked like Hemingway.

He went on-
I am Michael
a doctor from Russia- a psychiatrist
a reputed one for so long
love cheapest of the cheap food and drink
only half plate
in the morning and the evening
you know, you look like Hemingway.

O dai-
add a glass of Waasa more
from the same bottle you offered me before
and a plate of spicy bhatmas
for this new friend
who looks like Hemingway.

Do you know how it feels when war breaks?
I said- yes, a bit. My country suffered domestic war for more than a decade.
Do you know how it feels to be a jobless at once?
I replied- I can imagine only.
Have you ever run away from your country to save your life?

I said- not yet..but have heard the story of the refugees.
Leave all these fuckin' things dear
Buff chilly, Choyeka, sukuti and Tongba or raksi
are tastier than our talks.
did I tell you something?
you look like Hemingway.

Andrey filled his Tongba pot with hot water the third time
moved the pipe slowly
and had a mouthfull of Tongba couple of times
and asked me- please tell us what you know about Russia - Ukraine war?
tell us what the media tells you.
I took a sip of local home- made raksi
chewed a piece of hot and spicy buff chhoyela
and told them about Russian armies in Russia- Ukraine border,
Creama and Lohnsk and Donestk of Ukraine envaded by Russia.

Michael was busy on using toothpick
he stopped for a while and said- "you are right" in his accent.
Andrey looked at me and just gave a smile.
he said- you are smarter than you look like.
Michael took two pieces of Chhoyela in his both hands
he said - the one on my right hand is the shark
and the other`s Santiago´s fish
and you look like Hemingway.

The smoke in the room had no escape
yet Michael and Andrey were smoking like other regular visitors did.
Andrey- you know, we have lost our jobs. The state wants the people join the war if we stay in Russia.
Michael- yes, we have to. And we hate the war.
many of us are going to other neighboring countries.
and Michael and I both chose Nepal.
like Santiago chose to fight with Marlin
and you look like Hemingway.

It´s 9:30, Andrey said.
Michael emptied his glass and ate the rest of MoMo on his plate
Andrey was still adding hot water in his Tongba
he said- this hotel serves tongba in cheap price- only 150/-
it has a good flavor.
I asked for the bill
the owner replied- 750/-
the wife of the owner said- Andey have to pay for 2 plates of MoMo this morning
the owner did the total sum
Andrey and Michael asked for leave with the other people in the hotel
and asked me- Can you give me 50/- rupees?
Michael wants to drink black tea
and both of us don´t have any money.
Thank you for the dinner dear Hemingway- Michael added.
I gave 150/- to Andrey
Andrey walked with me till Nursing Chok
we stood beside the coffee shop
the aroma of strong black coffee was around
Andrey asked me - Do you like black coffee?
I said- Do you mind a cup of black coffee?
he smiled and gave a thumps up
It was 10:30
Thamel was yet to get crowded
Andrew said- you don´t need to go to people
but people come here from every nook and corner at Nursing chok.
he gave me a hug
and said- when you lose everything you have owned, the universe starts offering you what it has.
I just smiled
and asked myself- What man lives by!!

No comments:

Post a Comment