Tuesday 13 March 2018

Aftermath of Suicide

Gopi Sapkota
Poet Gopi Sapkota

I know
You will open my door slowly
With a mild fear
A bad smell will welcome you from inside
In a cold, dark and silent room
You will see a dead body
Lying on the floor
Amid the clots of dark blood
Yes, my friend
That’ll be me.

Blood and blood everywhere
Will clog, running through my wrist
Pierced last night with a blade

Few tools you will see on the ground
Blades and nails
Ropes and syringes
Poison and pills
Yes, I collected them to choose
A way to die in

People will try to find any note
Which I didn’t write
No clue why
I did commit suicide

I know
You will pick up my phone
Lying next to my body
You will read the last text I received
Yes, my friend,
It will be yours.

(Courtesy: A Suicide Note)


GOPI SAPKOTA, a poet and playwright from Nepal, currently lives in London. He writes mostly in Nepali and occasionally in English. He has eight books of poems and plays to his credit, including a collection of English poems 'A Suicide Note'. One of the most influential playwrights of Nepal, Sapkota was the founder director of Street Theater Group back in 1992. He has directed dozens of plays at various national as well as international venues like South Asian Theater Festival. He also writes children’s literature and co-edited Sunkeshra, a popular magazine for children in Nepal. He also served as Secretary of the Society of Nepali Writers in English from 2001 to 2007. 

No comments:

Post a Comment