Wednesday 12 November 2014

Thousand Year's Sleep

Bhupeen Bhupeen
Poet Bhupeen

I have slept for a thousand years
in a single life
Now I want to wake up from it.
Laying the man in the cradle,
the Buddha sings a lullaby.
Promising to wake me up,
Buddha too has gone laying me asleep.
Man has learnt to dream
in course of his long walk.
Besides, the god
has taught us to dream in sleep.
Like the moths that are
trapped between the cold
pages of books, 
I have been sandwiched
between the volumes of enchanting
scriptures of religions.
I have been trapped amidst
the bulky volumes of philosophy 
and have slept soundly all through my life, 
with a dream to wake up.
I want to wake up now
from a thousand years' deep slumber.

Translated from the Nepali by Mukul Dhahal

1 comment:

  1. attempts appreciative. but quality of translation is rudimentary.

    ReplyDelete